If you’re looking to add some long-lasting beauty and value to your garden, these evergreen backyard landscaping ideas will help you get started rightly. Not only do evergreen plants provide year-round interest, but they also have a number of benefits for your outdoor space.
First, let’s define what we mean by “evergreen.” These are plants that retain their dark green foliage (leaves or needles) throughout the year, rather than losing them in the fall as deciduous plants do.
This means that even in the dead of winter winds, your backyard will have some color and life thanks to your evergreens flowering shrubs.
There are many different types of evergreen plants to choose from, including trees, shrubs, and even some perennials.
Some popular evergreen trees include pine, fir, and spruce, while evergreen shrubs include varieties of boxwood, holly, and rhododendron.
Perennial evergreens include plants like rosemary and lavender, which add both fragrance and visual interest to your garden.
When designing your evergreen backyard landscape, there are a few key considerations to keep in mind. Firstly, think about the size and scale of your outdoor space.
It’s also important to consider the amount of sunlight that different parts of your backyard receive. Evergreen plants have varying light requirements, so be sure to choose ones that will thrive in the conditions of your particular space.
Another thing to think about is the overall look and feel you want to create with your evergreen landscaping. Do you want a formal, structured look? Or are you going for a more natural, relaxed vibe?
Choose foundation planting plants and design elements (like hardscaping and lighting) that will help you achieve your desired aesthetic.
With these factors in mind, you’ll be well on your way to creating a beautiful and functional evergreen backyard landscape with dense foliage glossy green plants and shrubs you will cherish.
Table of Contents
Top 10 Evergreen Trees and Shrubs for Backyard Landscapes
When it comes to adding evergreen plants to your backyard, there are so many options to choose from. To help narrow down your choices, here’s a list of the top 10 evergreen bushes, trees and shrubs that are great for backyard landscapes:
1. Pine: Pine trees are classic evergreens that come in a variety of sizes, making them suitable for any backyard. They have distinctive needles and can add a rustic touch to your landscape.
2. Spruce: Spruce trees are known for their pyramidal shape and dense, blue-green needles. They make a striking addition to any backyard and are well-suited for areas with cold winters.
3. Fir: Fir trees have a more slender shape and softer needles than spruce trees. They are a good choice for backyard landscapes as they are relatively low-maintenance and can tolerate a wide range of soil conditions.
4. Boxwood: Boxwood shrubs are versatile plants that can be pruned into formal shapes or left to grow more naturally. They are a popular choice for hedges and topiaries, and their small, glossy leaves make a lovely contrast to other evergreens.
5. Holly: Holly shrubs have glossy, spiny leaves and bright red berries that make them a festive choice for the winter months. They are also popular for use in hedges and topiaries.
6. Rhododendron: Rhododendrons are prized for their large, showy flowers that bloom in shades of pink, purple, and white. They are best suited for backyard landscapes in cooler climates, as they prefer partial shade and well-draining soil.
7. Rosemary: This fragrant herb is an evergreen perennial that is great for adding both scent and visual interest to your backyard landscape. It can be grown in pots or in the ground, and its needle-like leaves make it a unique addition to any garden.
8. Lavender: Another fragrant evergreen perennial, lavender is known for its purple flowers and calming scent. It is a low-maintenance plant that is perfect for adding a touch of color and fragrance to your backyard landscape.
9. Juniper: Juniper is a versatile evergreen shrub that comes in a range of shapes and sizes. It is a popular choice for use in hedges and topiaries, and its needle-like leaves and berries add texture to your backyard landscape.
10. Cypress: Cypress trees are known for their distinctive, pyramid-shaped form and feathery foliage. They are a good choice for backyard landscapes in warmer climates, as they are drought-tolerant and can withstand high temperatures.
With these top 10 evergreen trees and shrubs in mind, you’ll be well on your way to creating a beautiful and enduring backyard landscape.
How to Create a Low-Maintenance Evergreen Garden: Tips and Tricks
While evergreen plants are generally low-maintenance, there are a few things you can do to make sure your evergreen garden stays healthy and beautiful with minimal effort on your part.
First and foremost, be sure to choose ideal evergreen plants that are well-suited for the conditions in your backyard. This includes considering factors like sunlight, soil type, and climate. Planting species that are adapted to your specific environment will go a long way in reducing the need for extra care and maintenance.
Another key to a low-maintenance evergreen garden is proper watering. Overwatering can lead to a host of problems, including root rot and fungal diseases, while underwatering can cause plants to become stressed and more susceptible to pests and diseases. Be sure to check the soil moisture regularly and water accordingly.
Proper mulching is also important for maintaining a low-maintenance evergreen garden. Mulch helps to retain moisture in the soil, suppress weeds, and regulate soil temperature. Be sure to use a mulch that is appropriate for your region and apply it at the recommended depth (usually around 2-4 inches).
Finally, don’t forget about pruning. Proper pruning can help to promote healthy growth and prevent problems like pest infestations and disease.
However, be sure to do your research on the proper pruning techniques for the specific plants in your garden, as improper pruning can do more harm than good. With these tips in mind, you can enjoy a gorgeous and low-maintenance evergreen garden all year round.
Evergreen Perennials for Adding Color and Texture to Your Backyard Landscape
Evergreen plants aren’t just limited to trees and shrubs – there are also a number of perennial plants that are evergreen and can add some extra interest to your backyard landscape. Here are a few flowering evergreens to consider:
1. Heuchera: Also known as coral bells, heuchera is a perennial with colorful foliage in shades of purple, green, and bronze. It is a low-maintenance plant that is great for adding some visual interest to your garden.
2. Pachysandra: This shade-loving ground cover is an excellent choice for adding a splash of green to areas of your backyard that don’t get a lot of sunlight. It is a low-growing plant with glossy, evergreen leaves and can be used to fill in spaces between larger plants or as a stand-alone ground cover.
3. Sedum: Sedum is a hardy perennial that comes in a range of shapes and sizes. It is known for its colorful, succulent-like foliage and is a great choice for adding texture to your backyard landscape.
4. Euonymus: Euonymus is a fast-growing evergreen shrub that comes in both upright and trailing varieties. It has glossy, oval-shaped leaves and can be used as a hedge, ground cover, or stand-alone plant.
5. Verbena: Verbena is a flowering perennial that is known for its vibrant purple or pink blooms. It is a low-maintenance plant that is great for adding some color to your backyard landscape.
By adding a few of these evergreen perennials to your backyard landscape, you’ll be able to enjoy pops of color and texture all year round.
Designing an Inviting Backyard Retreat with Evergreen Landscaping: Ideas and Inspiration
Whether you’re looking to create a peaceful retreat for relaxation or a functional outdoor space for entertaining, evergreen landscaping can help turn your backyard into the perfect oasis.
Here are a few ideas and inspirations for designing an inviting backyard retreat with evergreen plants:
1. Use evergreen trees and shrubs to create a natural privacy screen. Plant a row of tall evergreens along the boundary of your backyard to create a sense of seclusion and privacy. This is especially useful if you have close neighbors or if your backyard is visible from the street.
2. Add some fragrance to your backyard with evergreen perennials like lavender and rosemary. These plants will not only add visual interest to your landscape, but their pleasant scents can help create a calming atmosphere.
3. Incorporate hardscaping elements like a stone patio or walkway to add structure and definition to your backyard space. Surround these elements with evergreen plants to create a cohesive and inviting outdoor room.
4. Use lighting to create a warm and inviting atmosphere in your backyard. Strategically placed solar lights or lanterns can highlight key features of your landscape, like a water feature or a grouping of evergreen plants.
5. Create a cozy seating area with comfortable outdoor furniture and a fire pit or chiminea. Surround this area with evergreen plants to create a sense of enclosure and privacy.
By incorporating some of these ideas and elements into your backyard landscape, you can turn your outdoor space into a relaxing and inviting retreat.
Maximizing the Impact of Evergreen Landscaping in Small Backyard Spaces
Just because you have a small backyard doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy the benefits of evergreen landscaping. In fact, by careful planning and choosing the right plants, you can create a big impact with minimal space.
Here are a few tips for maximizing the impact of evergreen landscaping in small backyard spaces:
Choose small-scale evergreen plants. Rather than opting for large trees or shrubs, choose smaller varieties that won’t overpower your space. This includes plants like dwarf conifers, compact boxwoods, and small-leaved rhododendrons.
A. Use vertical elements to add dimension to your backyard. This could include trellises, arbors, or wall-mounted planters filled with evergreen plants.
B. Incorporate container gardening with evergreen plants. This is a great way to add some greenery to small outdoor spaces like balconies or patio areas. Choose pots or planters that are appropriate for the size of your space and the plants you’ve chosen.
C. Use mulch to create a cohesive look and help retain moisture in the soil. Choose a mulch that complements the colors of your evergreen plants and apply it evenly throughout your garden beds.
D. Don’t be afraid to go big with a statement plant. If you have the space for it, choose a larger, showy evergreen plant as a focal point in your backyard. This could be a tall tree or a large shrub with distinctive foliage.
By following these tips and choosing the right plants, you can create a beautiful and impactful evergreen landscape in even the smallest of backyard spaces.
The Benefits of Investing in Evergreen Landscaping for Your Backyard: Increased Property Value, Energy Savings, and Year-Round Beauty
In addition to adding beauty and interest to your backyard, investing in evergreen landscaping can also have practical benefits. Here are a few ways that evergreen landscaping can improve your outdoor space:
1. Increased property value: A well-designed and maintained landscape can increase the value of your property. Evergreen plants, in particular, can add a sense of permanence and sophistication to your backyard, which can be attractive to potential buyers.
2. Energy savings: Evergreen plants can provide natural insulation for your home, helping to reduce your energy bills. Trees and shrubs planted on the east and west sides of your home can block the harsh summer sun, while those planted on the north side can provide wind protection in the winter.
3. Year-round beauty: As mentioned earlier, one of the main benefits of evergreen landscaping is the fact that these plants retain their foliage throughout the year. This means that even in the colder months, your backyard will have some color and life thanks to your evergreens.
Overall, investing in evergreen landscaping is a smart choice for both the aesthetic and practical benefits it can bring to your backyard.
Conclusion: The Lasting Value of Evergreen Backyard Landscaping Ideas
Whether you’re looking to add some privacy, create a calming retreat, or simply improve the look of your backyard, evergreen landscaping is a great option to consider.
These hardy plants provide year-round beauty, energy savings, and increased property value, making them a worthwhile investment. By choosing the right plants for your space and properly caring for them, you can enjoy the benefits of evergreen landscaping for years to come.
6 Amazing Evergreen Backyard Landscape Design Ideas to Create Eye-Catching Garden Design With Stunning Year-Round Evergreen Shrubs
1. Install Rounded Patios to create eye popping curb appeal
Most people take patios to be rectangular or square for granted. You can find a lot of natural things to have rounded corners. Why not your landscapes?
You can greatly enhance the looks of such a patio by including round furniture therein. You may even consider installing a fire pit or water element in its middle. Perhaps, you would like to include a petite Zen garden in the middle of the enclosure or around it.
2. Install Fire Pits With Flower
Landscape designs need not necessarily have just flowers. If you possess more space, installing a suitably sized fire pit is an excellent way of creating a warm and comfortable outdoor space.
Consider using natural stones in striking shapes and colors. When you are on a limited budget, it will be nice to use bricks and concrete to get a modern look.
3. Water Fountain With Evergreen Plant
Very few are fortunate enough to have a bubbling stream at the back of their home. However, one can consider having a fountain or small pond.
The availability of ponds and fountains in a large range of shapes and sizes encourages their installation in a backyard of any size.
If you possess plenty of open space and a bigger budget, it may be worthwhile getting installed a petite waterfall along with a bigger pond.
Birds could find this arrangement attractive for having an occasional dip and perhaps a quick bite while migrating to different places.
4. Create Aromatic Garden With The Best Evergreen Shrubs
Isn’t it great to have evergreen backyard landscaping with a pleasant smell? Yes, we all are receptive to smells. If you intend to have a low-priced backyard, you should prefer smell to sight.
Along with flowers and other plants, you could include jasmine, lavender, and thyme to have an attractive landscape that smells good too.
5. Use Evergreens Hedges to Spice Up Your Garden Design
When you possess a bigger area and you have an equally generous budget, you may think along the lines of having bigger trees and shrubs.
It’s a great idea to include hedges in your backyard, as they create all-natural fencing that enhances your privacy, creating a cocoon for you in the backyard of your own home.
Another natural plant that serves almost the same purpose is bamboo. This quickly growing plant helps to create a warm and appealing space.
6. Create Butterfly Gardens to Bring to Alive Your Evergreen Backyard Landscaping Ideas
Butterflies are among the most beautiful natural living beings that keep reminding us of regeneration and rebirth. They are simply gorgeous.
You can make your place attractive for butterflies by planting easy-on-the-pocket plants like oregano and marigolds. The best thing is that you can create a butterfly garden even if you had only a small area at your disposal.
Recommended reading: Front Yard Evergreen Landscape Design Ideas You Will Love